It’s zucchini time in the garden and wild blueberry time in Nova Scotia, and what a fabulous combination!
We had a request for D’Arcy’s lemon zucchini muffin recipe this morning. The original recipe came from Anne Lindsey’s “New Light Cooking” cookbook (which is one of our favourites – our focaccia with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon comes from the same cookbook), but we tweak it to accommodate for food allergies. All of the muffins we serve are egg-free so our daughter can take the leftovers – if there are any – to school in her lunch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded (unpeeled zucchini)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Coarsely grated rind from 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- egg replacer to replace one egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (we often sour rice or coconut milk for dairy issues)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup wild blueberries
- Lightly spray nonstick muffin pans or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, stick together flour, zucchini, sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg replacer (or lightly-beaten egg), soured-milk, oil, and lemon juice. Pour over flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten, being careful not to overmix.
- Add blueberries and combine.
- Spoon into prepared pans. Bake in 190*C oven (375*F) for 18-20 minutes or until tops are golden and firm to touch. (May take longer if using real egg.) Makes 12 muffins.